My first new DXCC entity for over eighteen months

I’ve not been specifically chasing new DXCC entities for a while and because of this, I’ve only picked up four since 2015.

I know there’s been some interest surrounding the 3C0L and 3C1L DXpedition to Annobon and Equatorial Guinea respectively over the last few weeks and although I missed out on working 3C0L, I was keen to work 3C1L.  I’ve heard them a couple of times over the last two or three days but not been able to work them.

I’d left a browser window open on DXWatch set to 3C1L and as I took my morning break, I saw that they’d been spotted on 17m.  It only took a few minutes of calling before I heard my callsign coming back.  The last letter was blatted by noise a little so to ensure that they’d received me correctly, I called again and received the acknowledgement back.  You can hear a recording of this QSO on my Audio Snippets page.

Only an hour or so later, I was passing the shack again and glanced at the screen to see a single spot had just been reported on 12m.  I thought this was worth a try so tuned to their frequency to hear a weak signal.  I set my split to just over 1kHz and called them.  To my astonishment, I worked them on my first call.

A similar thing happened this afternoon.  I saw they’d been spotted on my favourite band, 15m so I found them and started calling.  They weren’t very strong and there was a lot of QRM but I’m pretty sure that within a couple of minutes, I’d worked them for a third band slot.  Out of the three, this is the one I’m most happy with (assuming it was a good QSO).

This is my first new DXCC in the log since April 2016 and takes me to a total of 272 separate DXCC entities worked.

This entry was posted in Amateur radio, DXpedition, HF, New DXCC and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *