Category: Broken aerial

Broken hexbeam – Worst aerial damage I’ve had

Hexbeam back up

Back in February, the UK was hit heavily by two overlapping storms, Ciara and Dennis and it was during these storms that my hexbeam took the hit that broke it. Here you can see the aerials being blown about badly and although I didn’t realise it at the time, the initial damage had already been […]

My new Hexbeam is broken … and fixed

Working position for the top of the Hexbeam

Nearly two weeks ago the UK suffered from ‘Severe storms’ with high winds across most of the country. I went outside in the rain on the Saturday morning, looked up at my aerial and was disappointed to see this. You can see the 40m element in the top is very loose and blowing freely in […]

Replacing my hexbeam with… another hexbeam!

My new hexbeam with 40m

At the end of July, I happened to glance up at my aerial and noticed the 15m element hanging down. It was broken. It didn’t look serious though and I was sure that it was just that the connector on the end of the element had snapped off. Around the same time, I was offered […]

1090 MHz ADS-B PCB antenna from eBay

That's better - The repaired ADS-B PCB antenna

About a month ago I bought a 1090MHz PCB aerial on eBay and immediately forgot about it. It arrived a few days ago and I had a good look at it before I connected it to anything to try and work out what it actually was. I decided from the construction that it was a […]

I’ve broken my Hexbeam – Again!

The broken end section of my Hexbeam with the aerial in the sky

With the title to this entry, I can imagine a collective sigh from my readers, followed by “Oh no, not again”. This time is different though, this time it was nothing to do with RF or with melted insulators.  A few weeks ago I decided to add some anti-bird measures to my aerial consisting of […]

My 10m vertical broke in the storms

Close up of the broken section of my Sirio Gain Master 10m vertical

Friday night was very windy over here on the east coast and when I went to bed I noticed that there was more noise than normal coming through my aerials.  Normally I can hear the wind gently whistling through the mast and the Hexbeam but there was an actual rattle coming from somewhere which is […]

Fixing the Hexbeam … again

I posted about three weeks ago about my Hexbeam failing again and you can read that by scrolling down the page a little or by clicking here.  I spoke to the manufacturer directly after and he sent me a set of his new custom made PTFE spacers.  There was a contest the following weekend so […]

15m + 400w + snow/rain + Hexbeam = *sigh*

It’s the EA PSK63 contest. I had a decent run yesterday and this morning I was up nice and early to carry on my 15m single band entry. It snowed overnight, it’s raining now and very damp outside. After twenty minutes I was working a run of Japanese stations and my IMD meter started beeping […]

More work on the Hexbeam following another failure

On the 25th August I was warming up for the SCC RTTY contest and having a few quick QSOs prior to the start when I noticed my SWR had jumped from 1.1:1 to over 2:1.  This is exactly what happened before so I went into the garden and peered up at the aerial.  This is […]

The Ipswich Rally and new elements on my Hexbeam, it’s good to be back on the air

It’s surprising how just a few days without being able to play radio can affect someone.  I was up unusually bright and early this morning and off to Ipswich for the East Suffolk Wireless Revival 2012 (Ipswich Rally) where I met up with a few friends for breakfast before heading into the rally. Unfortunately the rally […]